Saturday, January 28, 2017

Tea Stained Wings

I had fun combining three different challenges to make two birthday cards.  I followed this weeks  Mojo Monday Sketch Challenge, I used “something with wings” for the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. and I played around with a new (to me) technique for Club Scrap’s January Technique Challenge, tea staining.

I have often stained things with tea, but not on purpose, so I thought this would be an easy technique. Well…it probably is, but I made it a bit more challenging.  Again, not on purpose.  My first attempts to stain some paper and ribbon didn’t work out too well.   I used a mint tea that I have, but after soaking my stuff for nearly an hour, it didn’t look much different (unless compared to the original color, but even then it wasn’t that much darker).  I didn’t want to waste the supplies, so I made this card:
Here is a list of supplies I used on this card:

**yellow paper is Bazzill, the rest is Club Scrap.

**I used the negative of a Daisy Branch die from Die-Namites and added papers behind it to fill it in. The square was cut using Spellbinders Labels Three.

**the ribbon is from Club Scrap's “Vogue” kit.

**the sentiment stamp is from Club Scrap's “Pure & Simple” kit, stamped with VersaMark ink, embossed with Midnight Emerald EP from Lindy’s Stamp Gang.

**Tea Dye Distress Ink was used on the edges (I figured it was appropriate for this challenge).  The flower centers are Antique Bronze Stickles.

**The butter fly is from Prima Flowers; the gem at the center was altered with Copic Marker #BG99.

Since I wanted to submit a project for the CS challenge, I figured I better try for something that looked like it had been stained. So, I got out my red cooking wine and soaked some cardstock and some vellum. That worked a little better. Here is the card I made from those:
While the cardstock was still somewhat damp, I did a letterpress technique on it using Victorian Velvet Distress Ink and a Tim Holtz Harlequin stencil. That became the background for this card.

Here is a list of the other supplies I used:

**all paper is from Club Scrap except the base of the bird is Ranger Watercolor Paper and the vellum which is from my stash.

** A stencil from Club Scrap's “Vogue”  kit was used on the oval part. It was traced with Seedless Preserves Distress Marker, and colored in using that color mixed with Perfect Pearl Mist. The oval was then edged with Mowed Lawn Distress Ink and covered with the wine stained vellum.

**The “Lace Hummingbird” die is from Cherry Lynn Designs.  It was adhered to the watercolor paper that had been covered with Orchid and Merlot Color Bursts mixed with the Perfect Pearl Mist, then fussy cut.

**The ribbon was upcycled and altered with Copic Marker #RV23

** The HB tag is from The Paper Studio (which I found at Hobby Lobby), altered with the Seedless Preserves Distress Marker.

Sorry for the long post! I tend to mix a lot of different supplies when I create my projects.

Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely summery cards. Love the warm colors. Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such lovely cards. Thanks for playing along with Mojo Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! So glad you were inspired by wine like I was :) Thanks for playing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty cards! Cool how the red wine turned out!
    Lilian
    The Leaf Studio

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my thoughts. I would love it if you would share some of yours...