Saturday, June 24, 2017

Pencil Roll to Treasure Map Journal

At the Club Scrap Retreat back in 2014 one of the gifts we received was a very cool pencil roll.  It was made from a suede like material and came complete with a cool charm on the tie closure.  Fast forward to a few months ago when I was cleaning and organizing my play space and found this item.  At that time, I also remembered seeing this post from Tricia Morris about how to turn this holder into a “Treasure Map Journal”.  Since I didn’t seem to need the holder, I decided to try this project for myself:

I used cardstock from my stash for the signature covers.  I didn’t have enough of any one kind of text weight paper for the inside pages, so I went to Office Max and found this really cool Ivory Parchment Letterhead from Gartner…perfect for the pirate/treasure map theme of the project.

To help enhance the pattern on the cover I brushed on some Glimmer Mist spray, wiped off the excess, then heat set.  There was a flap on the inside that I cut off to make room for sewing in the signatures.  I altered that extra piece with some Tarnished Brass Distress Stain, then used Blazing Red Staz-On ink to stamp the compass stamp from I Break For Stamps.  The image was cut out using a Spellbinders “Fairmont Labels” die.

Other supplies I used are:

**The ship stamp on the inside signatures is from Club Scrap “Navigation” kit. It is stamped with Mahogany Club Scrap ink. I also used the Mahogany ink to distress the signature covers.

**The “chapter” cut-a-parts are from Club Scrap’s “Literature” kit. 

**I used Club Scrap Bookbinding Glue to adhere the panels on the cover, and wax linen tread from my stash to do the sewing of the signatures.  

Now I’m looking around wondering what else I can re-purpose in a cool way…

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my thoughts. I would love it if you would share some of yours...