Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Faux Leather Experimentation

During Papertrey Ink’s Stamp-A-Faire last year, Nicole Heady posted a video showing how to create a faux embossed leather look.  Since her technique involved an intricate die and my Big Shot is, well, shot (waiting for Amazon to deliver my new one!), I decided to see if I could recreate the look some other way.

I used a mask that came with Club Scrap’s Sorrento kit (no longer available) and some embossing paste to create the “texture” that Nicole got with the die cut image.  My first attempt didn’t turn out the way I hoped, but I made it into a card anyway: 
I am much happier with the look of the second attempt: 
Quick synopsis of my process: after the texture paste was totally dry, I mixed about 1 Tbs. of Club Scrap Bookbinding Glue with about ¼ cup water.   I placed a sheet of tissue paper over the texture image and brushed on the glue mixture.  For the first attempt, I repeated the process three more times, for the second attempt, I only repeated two more times.  After letting it dry for a few hours, I went over it with various inks to help highlight the texture.   If you are interested in more details of the process, please check out Nicole’s video here.

For both cards, I followed the February card sketch challenge from Club Scrap.

Some other supplies I used are:

**Paper from Club Scrap and Gina K. Designs.

**The background on the first card was created from various sprays, the background on the second card was created using Color Burst. I added the hearts with an old stamp from Club Scrap and some Perfect Gold Perfect Pearls.

**The compass is a die from Cherry Lynn Designs.

**The heart is clear plastic acrylic (I think) that I picked up from a Clear Snap booth (again I think) at a scrapbook show a long time ago. I used Alcohol inks to color the back, then added a piece of velum so the colors show. The little gold heart was cut using an old Taylored Expressions die.

** The sentiment on the first card is from the Club Scrap Destinations kit (no longer available), stamped with Club Scrap White Pigment ink, embossed with Hydrangea Blue Mauve powder from Lindy’s Stamp Gang.

**The sentiment on the second card is from Club Scrap’s We Are Aware special stamp set (no longer available), stamped with VersaMark ink, embossed with Dark Chocolate powder from Gina K. Designs.

**Some of the ribbons are from various Club Scrap kits and some are upcycled.

You can follow me on Instagram at #inkyscraps.

Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. WOW that technique is very interesting and COMPLETELY cool!! :) thanks for sharing. I think I might have to borrow this for my blog post next week. I will be sure to link up to you so everyone will see this cool artwork! Thanks Rose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my thoughts. I would love it if you would share some of yours...