Sunday, August 20, 2017

Playing Like a Mad Scientist

Sometimes it is just plain fun to experiment.  I did just that for this month’s Technique Challenge at Club Scrap - heat embossing on dark colored paper.

Once I picked the papers and image that I wanted to use for my card, I realized that I didn’t have an embossing powder color that matched my palette.  I really liked where this card was going, so rather than change my papers, I did some research and found out that it is possible to custom make embossing powder colors. So I gave it a try:
To create your own color, you have to use clear powder and some type of alcohol ink.  Any other liquid form of color (such as re-inkers) do not work.  Trust me, I just had to try even though everything I read told me it wouldn’t work.  It also seems to work better with the clear powder.  I tried it using some white powder with some success, but my experiment was pretty convoluted by that point so I don’t trust the results. I might revisit that again sometime in the future.

Here is the finished card:
The focal image is a Club Scrap stencil from “Shades of Winter”. The whole image was inked (in steps) using Club Scrap White Pigment ink.  The stems were embossed using Club Scrap Blue Satin embossing powder.  The berries were embossed using my custom blend made from WOW Clear powder and Raisin Adirondack alcohol ink.  (Because of starting with clear powder, it is important to use the white ink underneath if it is on dark paper.)

Other supplies I used are:

**Paper from Club Scrap and Gina K. Designs.

**The focal image panel was die cut using a Taylored Expressions “Label Stacklet 3” die.  It was edged with Picket Fence Distress Marker.

**The sentiment stamp is from Club Scrap’s “Cherry Blossom” kit, stamped with VersaMark ink and embossed with Denim Zing embossing powder.

**The sentiment tag is from Die Versions.

**The pink ribbon is upcycled, the other ribbon is from Club Scrap’s “Pure & Simple” kit, altered with Copic Marker B21.

**The edges of the pattern paper were inked using Chipped Sapphire Distress Ink.

**The gems (altered with Copic B21) and the brads (altered with Copic B39) are from my stash.

I followed the sketch for this month's Club Scrap Sketch Challenge.  You can check out the original here.

Thanks for stopping by!

7 comments:

  1. Awesome idea to use the Alcohol ink to make the color on the clear embossing!! Totally going to try that!! Great card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! Just want you to know that the alcohol ink is mixed into the clear powder. I used a small plastic container and mixed it using a Popsicle stick. It takes some patience and time to mix it thoroughly. Judging by the splotches I'm not sure I got it all mixed, but it worked for the berries.

      Delete
  2. Not only you heat embossed on dark paper, you've created your own EP!!! That's awesome!
    Thanks for playing!
    Lilian
    The Leaf Studio

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic idea! I love getting more bang for my buck. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kudos to you for experimenting to create colored embossing powder! Your card is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, this is too cool! Dyed embossing powder with alchohol ink?! This is on my list of things to try. Love the result!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dying your embossing powder - brilliant!! I am definitely going to try that as I don't really have any colors of embossing powder

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my thoughts. I would love it if you would share some of yours...