Saturday, January 3, 2015

Playing Mad Scientist

Ok, so I was working on this card for my Brother-In-Law's birthday.  It was coming together quite easily until I wanted to emboss the greeting in a color that complimented the rest of the card.  Of all the embossing powders I have, nothing was going to work. Time to play "mad scientist" and try to alter some powder to get a color that worked.  (After all, I am altering stuff all the time to make it fit the colors of my projects).  So, I set about mixing Perfect Pearls powders into embossing powders.  After several attempts, I finally got a color that looked good, and would show up on the darker background (although I admit it could be a bit brighter for better contrast).  Oh, and I got to use an art orphan piece too!  Here is the finished card:
My final mixture for the embossing was using Zing Embossing Powder in Mustard, with a smidgen of Apricot (also Zing),and Cappuccino Perfect Pearls. Other supplies I used were:
**Paper from Gina K. Authentique, Club Scrap and I'm not sure about the brown.
**background stamp Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous, image is Club Scrap, sentiment is The Stamps of Life
**Versa Mark & Destress Inks
**Ribbon is from Club Scrap, altered with Distress Marker
**The brown paper was cut using a die from Taylored Expressions
**I think the image was stamped with StazOn ink onto an art piece that used Club Scrap metallic re-inkers, then fussy cut.  I covered it with clear embossing powder to finish it off for this card. 

I highly recommend experimenting with your supplies to see if you can alter them to fit your needs.  It probably won't take the place of good ole' retail therapy, but it can be a lot of fun!

Thanks for stopping by!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my thoughts. I would love it if you would share some of yours...