Thursday, July 13, 2017

Creating a Vintage Look

I spent a good part of today just playing in my craft space and it was a much needed boost for my crafting mojo.  I started with my Color Bursts and some stencils, a technique that was new to me.  I wasn’t totally satisfied with the results, but I really liked the color combination on one panel.  After messing with it a bit I came up with this anniversary card:
The background panel consists of Burnt Orange and Sepia Color Bursts, with some Suede Glimmer Mist sprayed on top.  Ok, I liked where this was going.  I used a Tim Holtz background stamp and some Ranger Tarnished Gold embossing powder.  Oops…it seemed to take a wrong turn.  Not willing to give up yet, I stamped it again (easy to do thanks to my MISTI) and tried some Midnight Copper embossing powder from Lindy's Stamp Gang right over the other.  Cool! It reached a destination that I was happy with.  Persistence really can pay off!

The rose is a two part “watercolor” stamp from Rubbernecker Stamps.  I used Gina K. Designs Sweet Mango and Wild Dandelion ink for the solid part, and Gina K.’s Dark Chocolate and StazOn Olive Green for the outline.  The leaves and stem were colored in with a little Pine Needles Distress Marker mixed with water.

All along I was trying to make a “vintage” looking card for the current challenge on the Rubbernecker Stamps blog.  I don’t have any pattern paper, and I don’t have any stamps that look vintage, so I had to get creative.  I love the way the card turned out, but I wasn’t sure if it was very “vintage-y”. While searching for something in my stash, I came across an old tag that was printed with a cool lacy type image.  I added some Pewter Perfect Pearls Mist to it which made it look a little like some shimmery parchment paper.  Since “vintage” goes together with “nostalgia” which ties directly into “Christmas”, I turned it into a Christmas card:
The candles are another two part “watercolor” stamp from Rubbernecker Stamps.  I colored the solid stamp with Spiced Marmalade, Candied Apple and Pine Needles Distress Markers, and stamped the outline with Tuxedo Black Memento Ink

Other supplies I used are:

**Paper from Gina K. Designs and Club Scrap.

**The anniversary card sentiment stamp is from I Break For Stamps, stamped with Distress Embossing Ink and embossed with the Midnight Copper EP from Lindy’s Stamp Gang.  It was cut out using a Spellbinders Petite Labels One die.

**I created the “Joy” sentiment on the Christmas card by using an old alphabet stencil (not even sure which company to credit).  Keeping with the “vintage” theme I went old school and used a Candied Apple Distress Marker to trace and color in the letters.  The tag was cut out using a Spellbinders Fancy Framed Tags Two die.

**The heart on the anniversary card was cut out using a Taylored Expressions Pocket & Pages die, then embossed with the Midnight Copper EP from Lindy’s.

**I used some Tea Dye Distress ink on the edge of the rose, and some Candied Apple Distress ink on the edge of the Christmas card.

**The ribbon is from Club Scrap (brown from the Aurora Borealis kit, red from the Boardwalk kit).

**Gems and nail heads are from my stash.

Thanks for stopping by! (Sorry for the long post.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my thoughts. I would love it if you would share some of yours...